The ballots to select board members for for 2017-2019 have been mailed out. Please keep an eye out and be sure to return your selections to the Election Commissioner, postmarked by June 26th, 2017.
Remember to only vote for board members in your region and up to three members can be selected; write-ins welcome. Your mailing label will include the region for your address:
- Region 1: ZIP Codes 630xx, 631xx and 633xx
- Region 2: ZIP Codes 640xx, 641xx
- Region 3: The remaining Zip Codes in the state
One candidate was accidentally left off the ballot for Region 3, so if you would like to vote for that candidate you can use the write-in option. Below are the registered candidates, along with a short statement, if one was provided.
- Bob Howe
- Thomas Rehmeier
- Ken West
- Jason Clark
- Randy Merrell: “I have served the MCA as Election commissioner, Treasurer, Bulletin Editor, and Tournament Organizer / Director* during the years leading up to 2003. In 2003 I was promoted to Sr. Engineering Technician for Honeywell FM&T and transferred to Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos NM. Then in 2009 I retired with 30 years of service to Honeywell. I have returned to Lee’s Summit, MO and am currently serving on the Board. I am the organizer for 2017 Missouri Open in the Kansas City area. *(Assistant TD 2001 & 2003 Missouri Class, 2002 Missouri Open, 2002″
- Ken Jones: “I have served on the Board for the last 2 years and believe we are making progress in our goal of promoting chess throughout the state and would like to continue that mission.”
- Nick Beatty: “Thank you for considering me for the MCA Board. If selected, I’ll do my best to foster a positive environment for chess to thrive in the Springfield area.”
- Martin Stahl: “Hello, I’m Martin Stahl from Joplin, MO. Over the past few years I have been running tournaments in the Joplin and Springfield areas. I look forward to continuing to promote chess in Region III and the rest of the state by continuing to serve on the MCA board. Thank you for your support.”
Missouri Chess Association members are invited to submit nominations for the election for the MCA Board of Directors. Nominees must be residents of the state of Missouri, 16 years or older (as of April 15th) and current MCA members.
If elected, nominees would serve a two year term, beginning on September 1, 2017. Self-nominations are welcomed and encouraged.
Board Members are expected to be current MCA members, attend board meetings (currently 4 times per year, most via Skype, but potentially in Columbia) and the general membership meeting at the Missouri Open.
The deadline for nominations is May 1, 2017. Election ballots will be mailed out by June 1 to MCA members in good standing as of May 1, 2017.
Send your nominations, along with a short bio and picture to: Ed Baur, Election Commissioner, 7138 Lindenwood, Saint Louis, MO 63109 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org (MCA Secretary) . Nominations must include the nominee’s name and region (or mailing address).
The 2016 General Membership meeting will be held in conjunction with the Missouri Open. The meeting will be from 9:30 until 10:00 AM, prior to round 4, on December 11th, at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center, 4657 Maryland Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63108.
Mark your calendars for November 10-14th. Caruana, Nakamura, Anand and Topalov will play in an exhibition event at the Chess Club & Scholastic Center of Saint Louis.
Five days of chess; two classical round robins and two rapid round robins. For more details check out their site.
Watch it live on http://www.uschesschamps.com/
MCB Material Submissions
The MCB is Missouri’s official chess publication, for and by the members of the Missouri Chess Association.
Your help providing material for the MCB is appreciated.
All submissions become the property of the MCA and the MCA reserves the right to edit any and all material received for publication.
Please send material for the MCB, including but not limited to:
- annotated games (PGN format is preferred, but others can be used)
- articles written by members
- articles from outside sources, with permission for republication
- pictures (with captions please)
- historical items
- chess related quotes, sayings, and jokes
- or just about anything else you would like to contribute that is appropriate
All contributions that are true, fair, build goodwill and better friendships among the membership are acceptable for publication. Thanks so much to all those who have contributed.